Saturday, August 16, 2014

Oh, for the love.....


Of VW! Yes, the VW Cupid's Arrow has really struck me, but good! I love these cars and everyone seems to know it at this point in time. You know that you are in the throes of addiction when your Facebook friends find the best VW stuff to post on your wall.

There is just something about the mere sight of a VW Bug, Beetle or old time Bus,Van,Camper, Kombi whatever you want to call it that does something to me on the inside. I just smile whenever I see one. Even if it's the most decrepit, beat-up, piece of crap car around, I still love 'em! In fact, these days, the more beat-up and rusty-looking the better. BTW, the VW folks don't call it rust, it's called 'Patina' and there are entire VW clubs that have members where their cars look that way. I think that the patina adds a lot of character as seen in the below photo...


Personally, I don't think I would love this car if it had all the chrome really shiny or the paint super sparkling. The day I took this photo, I must have taken at the very least about fifty shots of this one car, mostly due to the fact that it has so much damn character. 

But that's not to take away from the gorgeous restored cars and buses of old like this old boy...


The above Bus is a beauty and I've since met the man that owns him and he's done even more with this priceless vehicle. 

For me, VW was part of my growing up. I remember taking long car drives with my parents and my brother and I counting the VW Bugs we saw out of the window. At one time, in a forty minute trip from our house to my grandparents' house, we counted 100 Bugs. That was the early 1970's and they were everywhere! For a long time, before the Asian built cars grabbed up a piece of the American car-buying public, VW was it. They were one of the most enduring foreign car makes for many years. 

Even in this day in age of all sorts of countries stepping up to the plate with their vehicles as well as many new and standard American makes and models, the vintage VW is starting to come back. I am seeing a lot more of these old boys on the highways and byways, these days. There are VW car clubs in every country and multiple ones in each state. And the thing I take from all of this is that these people love their VWs and they are some of the nicest, most down-to-earth people you would ever want to meet! 

I know that not everyone loves VWs and that's fine. But I always have to smile when I run into yet another person who has their own  'VW story'. 


As a matter of fact, my afternoon later today will be spent taking photos of...what else...VWs! Happy motoring, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment