Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Bug Jam...in a word? Awesome!



Bug Jam was everything I'd thought it would be and so much more. This was an event that I'd been aware of for a good many years but for some reason never got to attend. This year I decided to head up to Bug Jam and was glad I did!
 
If you love cars or just love the VW, there is plenty to see and do here. The overall vibe is one of laidback happy people who clearly have a passion for their cars. Everyone present was smiling and having a good time.
 
There were plenty of VW-specific car clubs there such as Air-Cooled Enthusiasts as well as Miami V-Dubs and a whole lot more. These folks all parked together and displayed their unique VWs. Most of the members had customized their cars either via paint jobs or other effects.
 
 
Below are a few examples of the customized VWs I saw.
 
 
(plaid-themed VW)
 
(Chopped VW with lowered roof)
 
(Custom painted VW Bus)
 
(Eyelashes)
 
 
Yellow seemed to be the predominant color of the day but there were several others in varying shades of the rainbow. Below are some of the cooler colors I saw on Sunday.
 


(This car had a Breast Cancer awareness plate on the back)
 
(The Running of the Green)
 
 

(Wire-Wrapping plus high-intensity green paintjob)
 
(It's Super Van!)
 


 

All of the vehicles I saw had a lot of personality to them. The ones with the 'eyelid' headlights almost seemed to be a living being. There is just something about these vintage VWs that seems to bring out that effect on people.

Of course I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one of the most famous VWs for being almost human...


(There were other Herbies as well but this one was set up to have his wipers go on and off as well as to have his doors open and close. He also beeped while music from the 60's played in the background, all while being computer-controlled.)
 

To find out more about this particular Herbie, please visit this website, stephensherbie.com. Herbie is a 1965 Type 1 VW Sedan. To everyone else, he's several shades of awesome!

Below are several unique Buses and Vans.

(This one reminds me of tie-dye)
 
(There were shiny vans and then there were some who sported a rugged, weathered look)
 
(Great use of color and set-up)
(It's the VW Bus Army
(It's the VW Bus Army)
(Green bus)
 
(The ladder up the front looks pretty cool)
 
(What a great looking bus!)
 
(And yet more)
 

 
 
 



Aside from great looking vehicles, there were also vendors selling parts; old VW owner's manuals; mufflers; pipes; rims and tires. I saw plenty of people pulling Radio Flyer wagons filled to overflowing with VW parts as well as men with armloads of mufflers and pipes. Bug Jam seemed to be a great place to pick up spare parts without breaking the bank. I'm sure all the people selling this stuff made a killing on Sunday.
 
There were also people selling VW art, t-shirts and other things. I picked up a couple of great shirts and a VW necklace as well. I was present the moment the event opened and by noon, I was done. As I rolled out of the parking lot, the line of cars to get in was miles long. I was blown away over how many people were still showing up midday.
 
The parking lot sported a lot of great VWs that really should have been part of the show, like these two beauties in the photo below...
 
(The blue one had a chopped windshield on it. Too bad I didn't get to see the roof as well.)
 
(This Herbie was a few rows up from where I was parked)
 
I was able to get quite a lot of video shot on Sunday as well and for once the video from my phone could be salvaged.
 
I am definitely going to this again next year, in fact I plan on a yearly appearance.
 
(VW with Eyelids)
 
 
 

 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment